Friday, February 24, 2012

Altai Mountains - Almaty's Frozen Paradise

Almaty, Kazakhstan
2/24/2012  3:45 pm

Privet suki!

     Things are going in Kazakhstan.  Well enough, I tell myself.  Well, enough to tell myself that it is all going well enough.  I have been here for just about one week and things are just OK.  I'm a little home sick but, that comes with any trip to a foreign land with not much to do.  However, this morning my buddy, Yerlan, took my uncle and I out to the mountains for some fresh air and skiing.

     Now I'm at the office/warehouse so I shall update you on this stunning beauty I've "discovered" in Almaty.  I'm afraid these photos will not do the natural beauty of the Altai mountains any justice.  But, as I am in Kazakhstan and you are (probably) not, it will have to do.
Pure beautiful nature circa. two kilometers above sea level.

We driving up the mountain pass.


-10 degrees Celsius at around 10:00 am.


"Ski Resort"  Yerlan built the Presidential VIP suite for the Asian Winter Olympics.
View from the lift...again.

View from the lift.



Reppin' my Fing gloves by HSK.  Hanging out with Yerlan.
Nearly three kilometers up in the atmosphere - shit is cold!

My favorite photo of this trip to the Altai Mountains.  Yerlan and my uncle, Najot (Nick).

OK - so Yerlan was the only one to go skiing but the view and air was badly needed. 
Hey dude - get out of the way!


     The atmospheric pressure and weather is nothing to trifle with.  The average elevation of Almaty is 800m, we drove up to the Altai mountains reaching an elevation of almost 3km.  At the top of the slopes is where it was very cold, probably close to 0 degrees F/-17 degrees C.  I layered up expecting near freezing temperatures but this took the cake and the cold seeped right through.


You can't get this in New York.
     The Altai mountain range is no more than an hour away from Almaty - and that is with heavy traffic such as rush hour.  The Altai mountains have provided a natural barrier for Kazakhstan where it borders Kyrgyzstan and China.  For awhile, there was an incessant fear that China would expand westward from Xinjiang.  The re-deployment of the capital from Almaty to Astana helped curb those fears.  Yet, these mountains are more than just a natural defense and barrier from not so friendly countries.  I hope you see the beauty that is in these photos - that pure white snow with the sun illuminating the darkest crevice in these mountains.

This snow is fucking fresh.  Just imagine trying to trek these mountains by foot.
We got the best view of these mountains right here.

Lined with trees and little people skiing down the slope.

Coffee outdoors, anyone?

     There were some really great videos I got the chance to take while up there but I've been having issues uploading them.  When I get the chance, I'll upload them.  The sooner the better - you have to see the views from the lift that I couldn't capture with just photos.  I'm telling you this country can be beautiful - the trees, the snow, the mountains, gorges and, rivers all surrounding Almaty.  I think I am in love with these mountains.  I cannot wait to see them transform into green grass and forests.  I'd love to give hiking a shot here.  Of course, I'll have to snowboard down that slope first.  I gotta have it.

     I have to admit, it is a shame I have to head back into that smog drenched city after all this.

'Till next time,


Shaak.

1 comment:

  1. Those aren't the Altai Mountains. Those are the Tien Shan. And, they moved the capital not to be farther from China but to help prevent Slavic separatism in the north.

    ReplyDelete