Saturday, February 18, 2012

En Route: Over Here to Over There


Somewhere Over the Rainbow
2/16/2012 11:25 am

     The first leg of my journey is about over.  It's been an interesting trip thus far.  Rather slow.  Apparently, my flight is just above the Rhine River, bordering Belgium and Germany.  But, our first destination is Frankfurt.

     I could go for a pint.  I could also go for coffee, which would be more sensible.  The food on this flight is okay because it's airline food but, I've had worse.  I won't say cause no one will even fly on one of their planes in any capacity.  I think I'm going to hit someone if this plane doesn't land soon.  I need fresh air, perhaps a dunkel or two, a nice comfortable breakfast and, a few smokes.

     For the reference, it is 5:25 am in NYC.  It will be around 3:00 or 4:00 pm Eastern Standard Time when I reach Almaty, Kazakhstan.  Local time will be around 1:00 and 2:00 am respectively.

     Well, i've just been told in German to turn off my computer!  OK, it was in English but they are making announcements in both languages.

     K BYE FOR NOW.


Somewhere Over Kazakhstan
2/17/2012 12:20 am

     The second leg of my journey to Kazakhstan has been much better.  Compared to the flight from New York to Frankfurt, the Frankfurt to Almaty flight feels like fucking velvet – just smooth and I say, it gives me pleasure.  It’s not crowded like Phil’s mom for one thing.  And that’s all I am pretty much concerned about.  I got to sleep which has been great but, I think it is going to be hard to sleep once I land and arrive at the apartment.

     Well, I hope it’s an apartment.  For all intents and purposes it might be called an apartment but, it could be a yurt.  That would be something out of Lemony Snicket though.  I’m excited to have the weekend ahead of me once I get to Kazakhstan.  Perhaps I get to go around and check things out.  Maybe I go to Chocolate Disco, yes?  Find 50 Cent and party in the club, yes?

     Frankfurt airport was aight.  At least they had one of those rooms with amazing ventilation for smokers.  Ain’t that cray?  Just imagine the relief one feels being able to do something and then perhaps feel some sort of shame or just being part of some voyeurist plot.  My theory is that they feel bad about Hitler, so ever since they ever could, the Germans have been doing a crazy of a heck job to be a progressive state.

     The beer on flight and in Frankfurt has been delicious.  German brands that I never have had the pleasure to drink.  Our inflight beer was Warsteiner, I imagine their flagship beer.  Unfortunately there was no indication regarding what style it was!  Our second encounter with German beer was with Bitburger – a pilsner I believe, it was crisp and refreshing and the right amount of bitters in the end.

Warsteiner!




     Almost there.  Time to land.  Not sure how to feel about all this...


'Till next time,

Shaak.

No comments:

Post a Comment