Monday, February 20, 2012

Sundays Can Be So Bazaar

Almaty, Kazakhstan
2/20/2012  3:41 pm

     Hey all,

     I think I'll be in Almaty for about six months at most - so I figured I'd get acquainted where the people do their shopping and what people do for fun.  I spent Sunday going to the bazaar, a couple of shopping malls and, squeezed in a Russian lunch with one of my dad's friends.  And later on, I attempted to do a special Live from Kazakhstan podcast with Najman and Hae Sol Kang - it turned into a podcast remixed into dubstep.

UPDATE: IN THE FUTURE THEY PLAY DUBSTEP MUSIC IN THE SUPERMARKET.

     Now I'm at the warehouse doing some more data entry and research.  Kind of going crazy but at least I have some delicious coffee to hype me up...which I probably shouldn't be drinking...

     Also found a specialty coffee roaster here in Almaty, 4A Coffee.  Can't wait to check them out.  I'm also going to get a tutor to teach me Russian.  So, I'll actually learn how to say something other than Nyet, Spacyba and, Vodka.  The vodka, by the way, is very hit, miss, or piss. - It's decent or tastes like corn syrup or tastes like it's been diluted with clear anti-freeze and you're dying with every sip.

     So here are some photos from my shopping sorties in Almaty on Sunday.  We hit the bazaar in the morning and the malls at night.  There's nothing too special about the malls and I'll spend more time in them soon enough so I didn't take too many photos there.  It's the bazaar I want you to see.

     Also, unlike Uzbekistan they seem not to jive with the hip-hop game.  Maybe they just don't give a fuck about anything American.

'Till next time,

Shaak.

Outside the Bazaar!
Here is how my day went:

Fresh produce, yo!

Enough steak to feed Najman.


Kimchi and other pickled deliciousness
Kumis.
Kumis from the Kumis wench?...



Fresh bread.  Tandoori naan.
Squash.  Such a beautiful golden yellow.

Variety is the spice of life.
Dried fruits and nuts.



More fresh and local produce.

You can buy this broom for about two bucks.
Also makes great torch when you ride your horse at night.
Outside section of the bazaar - clothes, hardware, anything really.


Liver, Kidneys, Tripe, Lungs, Hearts - They got what you crave.



Kazakh woven slippers.


No joke - this is ass. Lamb butt. gnarly shit.
My uncle chillin' with his soon to be buddy.
Dollz heads.

Lambz heads.  Babushka watches her herd.
Like I said, sweet glorious meat.
Horse ribs - primarily used for Kazah, Kazakh sausage


Enough hippie herb shit for another Najman I know to probably smoke.



Mega Mall - Western Decadence at its finest.
I want to shit on this store so badly.
Had to get this macchiato to go. >:C  Tasted like the 90s.
This jar of Nutella costs ten USD.

1 comment:

  1. ahh i love this ! Try to get more pictures with faces ! Im glad Kazakhstan is treating you better than you had expected, take care ! xoxo

    ReplyDelete