Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Culture Theory: Driving in Almaty

Almaty, Kazakhstan
2/22/2012  6:50 am

     Up early again.  I haven't slept in or slept well since I've got here to Almaty.  Haven't had the time to adjust.

     Anyway, straight to bizniz.  As I mentioned previously before about the road situation here in Almaty, it fucking sucks.  There seems to be no rules or lanes or anything.  Drivers here will cut you off, swivel around your car, stop short when they want and, will not give a fuck about you or anything.  Well, almost anything - pedestrians over here love to cross the street whenever the fuck they want to not giving a shit if a car is a few feet away or not around at all.  I have been here for less than one week and already I have seen almost two people get ran over.  I think the odds are that I will see someone get hit during my stay here.  Drivers and pedestrians do not give two, maybe three but, possibly seven or eight fucks about each other.

Maybe it's cause you can't see shit but then why drive like a maniac.
SLOW DOWN FOR FUCK'S SAKE.
JUST LIKE JAY-Z, KAZAKH PEOPLE PLAY CHICKEN WITH A MACK TRUCK.

   

     So, here is my theory:

1.  Drivers here learned how to drive by playing Mario Kart.

This is the best representation of what it is like to be on the road in Almaty.

2.  The inspiration for the video game, Frogger comes from Kazakhstan.  Who else would cross the street with two ways of traffic during rush hour like that?  Seriously, it's as if these people are either trying to kill themselves or trying to prove their roots as the inspiration to this classic video game.

Frogger is Kazakh.
Almaty, Kazakhstan
2/22/2012  1:13 pm

     Well, I have not much else to say.  I'm brain dead after doing so much data entry.  I want to forget.  Now it's time for me to eat lunch and prep for my first Russian lesson.!

Drive safely!

'Till next time,

Shaak.

No comments:

Post a Comment