Sunday, March 11, 2012

Calling Out (*゚ノO゚)<オオオオォォォォォォォーーーーーイ!

Almaty, Kazakhstan
03/11/2012 12:20 pm

Privet suki!  Kak dela?


     Faithful reader(s), I have been in Kazakhstan for about one month.  March 15th marks my one month departure date from New York, although my one month "anniversary" is technically March 17th.  Time goes by when you travel into the future.  It is hard to believe I have actually been here all this time.  It is as if I am in bizarro world.  Actually, I want to say that I am in bizarro world especially coming here from New York City (greatest city in the world).  Although this isn't my "been here one month fuck this place" post - I want to give this place a chance.  If you cannot enjoy or be happy where you live, how can you live?

     Many of you have said, "go make friends" and "go out and do stuff."  That, I will admit and if you know me, is easier said than done.  I've met a few people here and there but, no one I could consider a friend as I have only seen them once and the language barrier is huge.  Let us not forget, I am an awkward fuck in social situations.  

Kazakhstan Cognac. This small handle for under $1.50.
Surprisingly really good.  Not Hennessy or Courvosier.
But as cheap liquor goes, this stuff is amazing.

Top shelf is beer on display.  Nothing worthy of comment!
But the gem here in this photo are the bars of chocolate conveniently  packaged together with bottles of cognac.  A great pairing for that special woman in your life for International Women's Day!

They give you a selection of which bad beers to drink as well as a variety of smoked fish to nom on with your bad beer.  :/
I went to a bar and all the beers they have  on tap suck ass...It's all poured into plastic two liter bottles which I doubt they even rinse or clean properly :/
 #MoreBelve plz.

     Imported brands, the ones you can find in the United States, are pretty expensive here in regards to Tenge and size of the product.  Bottles of hard liquor in the states are generally 750ml or 1l.  Over here they are .5l, .7l and, 1l - so that one time I got a bottle of Jim Bean for about twenty dollars was .7l.  But, for the taste of home - it was worth every drop.

     I'd review the coffee situation here but, it's more depressing than bambi, old yeller, and Star Wars Episode One combined.  I guess one bright spot here is 4A Coffee - they roast their own coffee and it's pretty damn good for Almaty.  I did visit their location and it's small and cozy.  I would like to go there again but it is out of the way for me.  Perhaps on my second trip there I will give them a proper "review."

  Back to work, I guess. Oh, and in the future - they stop Kony.

'till next time,

Shaak.

1 comment:

  1. Wren, by mistake I deleted your comment. But, thanks for checking out the blog. There is no Yelp here from what I've checked out. Even then I wouldn't post shit on Yelp!

    ReplyDelete